1. 1lb of fresh mussels – I bought some from the Costco seafood stand, which were really great — comes in a 4lb bag at $2.99/lb
2. 1/4 stick of butter (either salted or unsalted is fine)
3. 4 tablespoons of crushed tomatoes
4. 1 chopped onion
5. 3 tablespoons or 4 cloves of garlic
6. 1/4 cup of white wine
8. Sriracha sauce or any other hot sauce * optional
1. Scrub clean the mussels, use either a vegetable brush or a clean toothbrush
2. In a large pot, fill it about half-way with water and add some salt. Bring to a boil.
3. Add the mussels to the boiling pot. It takes less than a minute for the mussels to start opening up. Once the mussels open, let it cook in the water for another 20-30 seconds. Then drain. This should get rid of additional gunk.
4. In a large sauce pan, on medium heat, sautee the garlic and onions in the butter. Once the onions soften and begins to brown, add the crushed tomatoes. Let the flavors meld for about 2-3 minutes. Add the white wine and a pinch of salt. If using salted butter, then use less salt.
5. For those of you who like a little kick, you can add in Sriracha sauce or any other hot sauce to the mixture. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add in the mussels. Toss until the mussels are coated with the sauce, then serve immediately.
Note: you can also make this dish without the crushed tomatoes. It’ll just turn out to be a butter sauce. Either way, the sauce is great with pasta, rice and bread! Bon appetite!